why black women & business?
Recent growth in the rate of business ownership by Black women has been faster than any other group in the nation. From 2002-11, the number of businesses owned by Black women increased 179 percent compared with 52 percent for all women-owned businesses and 20 percent for all businesses. However, many Black women who own businesses have difficulty accessing credit and face capital constraints.
what can we do?
- Expand research on Black women business owners & founders
- Create more access to diverse funding sources
- Develop local, culturally relevant business education and training programs that center and are led by Black women & femmes
what is IBBG Business?
IBBG Business was launched to support Black women & femme business owners by addressing the opportunities above. Our goals are to:
- Create space for business founders and leaders to connect
- Connect business owners with capital investments
- Provide access to culturally relevant technical and capacity building support